- Yield: 6 Servings
- 1 pound stale bread
- 4 ripe salad tomatoes
- 2 red onions
- 2 cucumbers
- Extra-virgin olive oil
How to Make It
- Cut the bread into thick slices and soak in water for about 15 minutes. Squeeze out the excess water and coarsely crumble with your hands. Place in a bowl.
- Remove the seeds from the tomatoes, and slice. Repeat with the cucumber and the onion. Add the tomatoes, onion, cucumber and the basil to the bread.
- Season with salt and pepper, and drizzle with olive oil. Mix carefully, and refrigerate.
- Before serving toss with vinegar and garnish with extra basil.
- You can leave aside some of the vegetables and basil leaves and use them to garnish the salad just before serving. Panzanella is now often made with boiled spelt instead of bread.