- Yield: 4 Servings
Yellow fin Tuna
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 lb sashimi-grade yellow fin tuna, cut into loins of 2" x 2" x 4"
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp coriander seeds
- ½ tsp pink peppercorns
- ½ tsp ground sumac
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- ½ tsp powdered ginger
Pickled Red Cabbage Salad
- ¼ red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 cup pickling liquor
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, pitted and cubed
- 2 tsp mayonnaise
- ½ tsp water
- 1 lemon juice
- 10 cilantro leaves
- ¼ daikon, 8 oz, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- 4 red radishes, thinly sliced on a mandolin
- ½ tsp olive oil
- ¼ cup micro greens, for garnish
- 1 oz fresh ginger, peeled and very finely diced (1 Tbsp)
- 10 cilantro leaves, chopped
- ½ tsp finely chopped preserved ginger
- 1 tsp ginger syrup (from preserved ginger)
- 1 tsp lemon vinegar
- 1 lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
How to Make It
- Sumac is a spice with a tangy flavour that is often used in cooking or to make juice. The purple berries of this decorative bush are dried and often coarsely ground and can be found at specialty cooking stores. Lemon vinegar, like champagne vinegar and other specialty vinegar, is also available from specialty cooking stores. Yellow Fin Tuna with Spice Dust and Honey-Soy Glaze
- Heat olive oil in a medium saute pan on high heat. Add tuna loins and sear for about 15 seconds on each side.
- In a heavy-bottomed saute pan, toast fennel and coriander seeds over medium heat for 1 minute. Transfer them to a spice grinder. Add pink peppercorns and sumac and grind the spices into a fine dust.
- In a small saucepan on medium heat, combine honey, soy sauce, five-spice powder and powdered ginger and heat for 3 to 4 minutes, until reduced by one-third. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Brush glaze onto each side of the tuna and evenly coat with the spice dust. Wrap each dusted tuna loin in plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed. Pickled Red Cabbage Salad
- Combine cabbage and salt and allow the mixture to sit for 40 to 45 minutes. Rinse the salt off under running water, then pat the cabbage dry and place it in a non-reactive bowl. Pour pickling liquor over top and allow to sit for at least 2 hours, or overnight if possible.
- Pass avocado through a fine sieve. Mix with mayonnaise, water and lemon juice. Season with salt.
- Drain cabbage and toss it with cilantro. Season daikon and red radish slices with salt and olive oil. Ginger-Cilantro Gremolata
- Bring a small pot of salted water to a boil. Add fresh ginger and blanch for r minute, then drain. Repeat twice, using fresh salted water each time. Add cilantro, preserved ginger, ginger syrup, lemon vinegar, lemon juice and olive oil.