- Yield: 4 Servings
For the Sauce
- 1 cup (120 g) cashews, soaked in cold water for 3 hours
- generous 2 cups (500 ml) almond or soy milk
- 1 (9 g) heaped tablespoon tapioca starch
- 4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½–1 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
For the Filling
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2–3 leeks, thickly sliced
- 7 oz (200 g) chkn pieces or use ready-made vegan pieces
- 8 oz (225 g) chestnut mushrooms, cleaned and halved
- ½ bunch of freshly chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 18-oz (1 x 500-g) packet ready-made vegan puff pastry
- plain/all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 2–3 tablespoons vegan milk, for glazing
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 190˚C (375˚F) Gas 5.
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashew nuts, and add to a blender with all the other ingredients for the sauce. Blitz together to make a smooth paste then pour into a small saucepan. Heat gently over a low heat and stir well until the mixture thickens.
- For the filling, add the olive oil to a large deep pan and put over a medium heat. Add the shallots and leeks and cook for 10–12 minutes until soft and translucent. Add the chkn pieces, mushrooms, chives, mustard and cashew sauce. Stir well, then pour into a large baking dish, or several small ones.
- Roll out the pastry on a well-floured surface, and put on top of the pie filling. Trim and pinch the edges. Using a pastry brush, dip into the vegan milk and brush the top(s) of the pastry before baking. Make 2 or 3 small holes to allow the steam to escape.
- Place on the middle shelf of the preheated oven and bake for 40–50 minutes until the pastry is crispy and golden brown. Serve immediately.