If you’re not already vegetarian, these delicious, moist, filling, meat-free burgers just may convince you! Serve them with your choice of toppings, such as tomato, cucumber, lettuce or Tzatziki Sauce.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 25 Minutes
- 19 oz (540 ml) can chickpeas
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) tahini
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 0.33 cup (80 ml) grated onion
- 0.33 cup (80 ml) grated carrot
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) mild curry powder
- ½ tsp (2 ml) salt
- ¾ cup (185 ml) dried breadcrumbs
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil
- 4 hamburger buns
How to Make It
- Drain the chickpeas, rinse in cold water, and drain well again. Place in a food processor, along with the tahini and egg. Pulse until almost smooth, but still a little coarse in texture. Transfer the mixture to a bowl and mix in the onion, carrot, cilantro, curry powder and salt.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a shallow dish. Moisten your hands with cold water and form one quarter of the mixture (it will be quite moist) into a ¾-inch-thick (2 cm) patty. Coat the patty completely with the breadcrumbs, pressing on the crumbs to help them adhere. pressing on the crumbs to help them adhere. Set the coated patty on a separate plate lined with parchment paper. Repeat with the remaining mixture. Cover and refrigerate the patties for 20 minutes to firm them up
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the chickpea burgers and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until completely heated through. Serve them in the buns with assorted toppings.