During my CBC career, one of many food-related segments I produced was a little series for Here and Now, called “Who’s Cooking at Karl’s?” In fact, that idea expanded to become One Chef One Critic. Land and Sea host and producer Pauline Thornhill was one of many delightful guests who came to my house to cook with me. We made her father’s favourite seafood chowder, which quickly became one of my favourites.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- 1 lb (454 g) cod, cubed
- 2 dozen bay scallops
- 2 dozen shelled tiger shrimp
- unsoaked salt meat, 1 dozen tiny cubes
- 2 cups (500 mL) potato, cubed
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1 dozen button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tins cream of mushroom soup, 10 oz (284 mL) each
- 8 cups (2 L) water
- Add water, cod, onions, garlic, salt meat, and pepper to soup pot and bring to slow boil. Cook until cod has liquefied.
- Add potato and continue cooking for 15 minutes. Add mushroom soup and fresh mushrooms.
- Stir until well mixed. Bring to slow boil. Add scallops and shrimp. Stir. Cook for another 10 minutes.