- Yield: 16 Servings
- 3 cups (720 ml) cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tablespoon mustard seed
- ½ tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 tablespoons (90 g) kosher salt
- 1 pound (455 g) okra
How to Make It
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the vinegar, sugar, bay leaves, mustard, coriander, red pepper, and 3 tablespoons of the salt, stirring until dissolved. Remove the pan from the heat and cool it to room temperature.
- While the brine cools, rinse the okra in a colander and trim any tough ends. Toss the okra with the remaining 3 tablespoons salt in a colander. Allow the okra to drain over the sink for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Rinse the okra and place it in a nonreactive bowl. Pour the brine over the okra. Refrigerate it preferably overnight or at least for several hours. The okra will keep in an airtight container for a couple of weeks.