Tuna and mayonnaise onigiri is easily found at convenience stores and supermarkets in Japan. If you like wasabi, add a small amount into the tuna mixture. The refreshing taste of wasabi goes really well with tuna and mayonnaise.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 4 tbsp Canned tuna
- ½ tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Lemon juice
- Wasabi (optional) to taste
- 17 oz (480 g) Cooked Japanese short grain rice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 Nori seaweed sheets
How to Make It
- Combine tuna, mayonnaise and lemon juice in a bowl and mix well. If you like, add a small amount of wasabi to the tuna mixture.
- Scoop one-quarter of the rice into a rice bowl. Make a 2-cm (1-in) indentation in the rice with your fi nger and add 1 Tbsp tuna mixture.
- Wet your hands and spread a pinch of salt on your palms and fingers. Transfer rice to your hands and gently press rice 2–3 times into your preferred shape. Make sure the fi lling is completely covered with rice. Wrap nori around the rice ball. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.