Traditionally, pesto is made with basil, pine nuts and parmesan. This cheese-free version is made with a mixture of herbs and almonds in place of the pine nuts. The zingy flavours from the kaffir lime leaf and lemon zest make it taste more Asian than Italian.
- 1 cup (20 g) each spinach, fresh mint, parsley and coriander/cilantro, tightly packed
- ¼ cup (30 g) blanched almonds
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus extra to preserve
- 1 kaffir lime leaf (or substitute lemongrass)
- 1 freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 grated lemon zest
- 1 garlic clove
- pinch of sea salt
- Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz until they turn into a paste.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
- Pour more olive oil onto the pesto to preserve its bright green colour, if you like.