- Yield: 50 cookies
- ¾ cup (98 grams) Pastry Flour Blend
- ¼ cup (28 grams) gluten-free oat flour
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ cup (42 g) Sucanat
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons shortening, cold
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Up to 2 tablespoons cold water
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the flours, xanthan gum, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Cut the shortening into tablespoon-sized pieces and lay them on top of the flour. Use a pastry cutter, a pastry fork, or your hands to work the shortening into the flour. Continue working for 3 to 4 minutes, until a crumbly mixture forms.
- Add the vinegar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon of water. Work the liquids into the dough. Add up to 1 tablespoon more cold water as needed, ½ tablespoon at a time, until the dough forms.
- Roll the dough between two pieces of parchment paper, about ⅜ inch (10 mm) thick. Remove the top layer of parchment and use cookie cutters to create desired shapes.
- Remove the excess dough, roll it out again, and create additional cookies, until all of the dough is used. Arrange the cookies on the lined baking sheet. If you are using animal cookie cutters, a plastic toothpick can be used to poke holes for the eyes.
- Bake for 9 to 10 minutes, until the tops are golden. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a cooling rack.