- Yield: 12 Servings
- Total Time: 1 Hour
- 1¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup coarse, whole-grain polenta
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus more for greasing the baking pan
- ½ cup Kamut flakes
- ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
How to Make It
- Position the rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch round springform pan with a little butter on a wadded-up paper towel or piece of wax paper. To make the Cake
- Whisk the whole wheat pastry flour, polenta, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Use an electric mixer at medium speed to beat the eggs and granulated sugar in a large bowl until creamy, light, and pale yellow, about 5 minutes. Seriously. The stuff has to double in volume.
- Beat in the orange zest and vanilla. Scrape down and remove the beaters, dump in the flour mixture, and stir with a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon just until there are no pockets of dry flour in the batter. Pour in the melted butter and stir until incorporated. Spread the batter in the prepared pan. To make the Topping
- Mix all the ingredients in a medium bowl the Kamut flakes, whole wheat pastry flour, brown sugar, melted butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, and salt. Sprinkle and crumble this mixture all over the top of the batter.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out with a couple of moist crumbs attached to it, about 30 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack for 15 minutes, then unlatch and remove the sides of the springform pan. Slice some warm wedges or continue cooling the cake to room temperature.