- 3 meaty umeboshi, pitted and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
How to Make It
- Mix the chopped umeboshi with the maple syrup in a small cup and set aside.
- Using your hands, form a loose ball with a packed ½ cup of the rice. Then make a small well in the middle (by simply pressing down with your fingers) and spoon in about a teaspoon of the umeboshi mixture. Close it up and make a ball again, but this time do it tighter use some force and really pack it in. Then shape it into a triangle. Make 7 more the same way.
- Place the soy sauce and butter in a small bowl and stir with a fork. Heat a dry nonstick skillet over medium heat, brush some soy-butter on the surface of 4 yakinigiri, and place them in the hot pan. Cook for a few minutes, until crispy and brown, flip them over, brush on a little more soy-butter, and cook the other side. Repeat with the next round and serve hot or at room temperature.