Inspired by an Italian cake that contains cornmeal for crunch and rosemary for flavor, this version also features toasted almonds, which pair deliciously with the strawberries.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
- ⅔ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup yellow cornmeal
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted
- 1½ teaspoons snipped fresh rosemary
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup ricotta cheese
- 3 cups quartered and/or halved fresh strawberries
- ¼ cup Orange-Vanilla Sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 (8-ounce) container mascarpone cheese
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×1½-inch round cake pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment paper or waxed paper. Grease paper and lightly flour pan; set aside. In a small bowl combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In a food processor combine ⅔ cup granulated sugar, almonds, and rosemary. Cover and process until almonds are finely ground.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the butter with an electric mixer on medium to high for 30 seconds. Gradually add the sugar-almond mixture, beating on medium for 1 to 2 minutes or until well combined and fluffy, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the ricotta cheese until combined. Sprinkle flour mixture over egg mixture; stir just until combined. Spread batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove cake from pan. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine strawberries and the ¼ cup Orange-Vanilla Sugar. Allow to stand at room temperature until sugar dissolves and creates a syrup, stirring occasionally. In a small bowl stir enough orange juice into mascarpone cheese to make a spoonable consistency.
- Place cake on a serving platter and top with strawberries; pour syrup over strawberries. Serve with mascarpone cheese.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.