- Yield: 30 rings
- 1 large Vidalia onion
- 1⁄2 cup Breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tsp fine salt
- 1 tsp granulated onion powder
- 1 tsp granulated garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup chickpea flour
- 1⁄2 cup non-dairy milk
- salt, as needed
How to Make It
- Preheat oven 400°F.
- Grease a large baking sheet or line with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut onion into 1⁄3 -inch-thick rings, reserving all large and medium rings, about 30 to 40 rings, and store the smaller pieces for another use.
- Grind down Breadcrumbs and cornmeal in mortar and pestle into a fine sand-like consistency.
- Whisk Breadcrumb/cornmeal mixture, salt, and spices together in a bowl and set aside.
- Pour chickpea flour in another bowl and non-dairy milk in a third bowl.
- Place the bowls together in a triangle, with the non-dairy milk bowl pointing at you in the center.
- Fully dip a ring in the non-dairy milk, twirl it in chickpea flour until coated, then quickly dip back into the non-dairy milk and immediately dredge in crumb mixture until evenly coated.
- Place on cookie sheet and repeat with all rings.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until crisp and golden with a few light-brown spots on the edges, careful not to overcook or burn.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve fresh out of the oven when the onions are still soft.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.