Let’s try making basic onigiri using only salt to enjoy the taste of the rice. In this book, I use 120 g (4½ oz) cooked rice for a regular-size onigiri and 60 g (2 oz) cooked rice for a small one. This is just an indication. Feel free to change the size of the rice ball according to your preference.
- Yield: 4
- 17 oz (480 g) Cooked Japanese short grain rice
- 2 Tbsp Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- Scoop one portion of cooked rice into a rice bowl. By transferring rice from rice cooker to a bowl, the rice will be cooled down slightly and you will be able to touch the rice without burning your hands. Wet your hands and spread a pinch of salt on your palms and fi ngers.
- Transfer rice to your hands.
- Shape rice into balls or triangles by gently pressing rice 2–3 times with both hands.
- Adjust the shape of the onigiri if necessary.