Bean burgers can be completely satisfying and delicious, even for people who love a meaty burger. They are so hearty and substantial that no one really misses the meat. I especially love this one because of the wee bit of spice that livens it up, and the fresh greens that add lightness and nutrition.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- ½ cup diced red onion
- ½ cup whole wheat bread crumbs (or gluten-free bread crumbs)
- ¼ cup minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise substitute (plus more for serving; optional)
- 1 teaspoon bottled hot sauce (choose a natural one with no sugar)
- ½ cup pureed silken tofu
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 2 cups cooked black beans, coarsely mashed with a fork (you may also use organic canned beans)
- 1 cup organic corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for sautéing burgers
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 to 5 kale leaves, washed, shredded
- Sea salt
- Whole-grain burger buns, for serving, toasted if desired
- Sliced tomatoes, for serving
To make the Burgers
- Combine the red onion, bread crumbs, basil, jalapeño, mayonnaise, hot sauce, and pureed tofu in a mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Fold in the beans and corn until the ingredients are fully combined. Form the mixture into burger-sized patties. Arrange on a plate, cover, and refrigerate for 10 minutes so the patties firm up before cooking.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet over medium heat. Lay the patties in the skillet and cook until browned on both sides, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate, or if you like your burgers hot, place them on a baking sheet in a warm oven while you sauté the greens. To make the Greens
- Heat the olive oil in the same skillet and sauté the kale until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and sauté for 1 minute more.
- To assemble, lay a burger on the bottom half of each bun, spoon some greens on top, and place a tomato slice on top of the greens. Spread the cut side of the top half of the buns with vegan mayo (if using) and press gently on top of the burgers. Serve immediately.