Fava beans require some preparation, but to me it’s a labor of love. Shelling and peeling them may seem like a drag, but it’s Sooooo worth the effort. Mix them with some luxurious mushrooms and sexy spring onions, and you end up with springtime on a plate.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Total Time: 30 Minutes
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound fava beans, shelled
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- ½ pound chanterelles, brushed clean and torn into bite-size pieces
- ¼ cup chicken or veggie stock
- ½ bunch of fresh chives, finely chopped
- Bring a large pot of well-salted water to a boil and set up a bowl of well-salted ice water.
- Add the fava beans to the boiling water and let the water come back to a boil, then cook the beans for another 2 minutes. Strain the beans from the boiling water and plunge them immediately into the ice water.
- When the favas are cold, peel off the tough outer layer and reserve the lovely bright green beans. yum!
- Coat a large sauté pan with olive oil, toss in the spring onions, and bring the pan to medium heat. Season the onions with salt and the red pepper and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add in the mushrooms, add stock, cover, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove the lid, toss in the reserved fava beans, and cook for 2 to 3 more minutes or until the stock has evaporated. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Sprinkle in the chives and serve immediately.