This millet soup is more than just delicious. Its warming character and sweet vegetables relax the body and keep us warm in cool weather. This soup will enable you to face life with a calm, centered attitude.
- Yield: 3 Servings
- ½ sweet yellow onion, diced
- ¼ head green cabbage, diced
- 1 (1-inch) piece wakame, soaked in water for 2 to 3 minutes, until tender, diced
- ½ cup yellow millet, rinsed well
- 4 to 5 cups spring or filtered water
- 2 teaspoons barley miso
- ½ cup organic corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup diced dark leafy greens, such as kale or collards
- 1 to 2 scallions, thinly sliced on the diagonal, for serving
How to Make It
- Layer the onion, cabbage, wakame, and millet in a soup pot. Add the water, cover, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the vegetables are soft and the millet is creamy, about 25 minutes.
- Remove a small amount of liquid from the pot and use it to dissolve the miso. Stir the miso mixture, corn, and greens into the pot and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes, uncovered, to activate the enzymes in the miso. Garnish with scallions and serve hot.