This super-easy, delicious meal is a refreshing finale to a hectic, busy day, especially during the long days of summer. Just grill some chicken and make a quick fruit salsa for a fresh, simple dinner on your table in under 30 minutes. Pair this dish with the bright and expressive flavors of chilled Edna Valley Vineyard Chardonnay, then sit back, relax, and enjoy the warm summer evening—the season is too fleeting not to!
This dish is a bold mix of salty, sweet, and acidic components.
1/2 cup white vinegar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 thinly sliced jalapenos
1 Tbs. toasted coriander seeds
2 tsp. mustard seeds Kosher salt
4 cups seedless watermelon (about 1 lb. 2 oz.), cut into Vi-inch cubes
1 tsp. ground cumin Freshly ground black pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 cup finely diced sweet onion
1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh cilantro, plus leaves for garnish
How to Make It
- In a medium saucepan, combine 2 cups water with the vinegar, sugar, chiles, coriander, mus¬tard seed, and V2 tsp. salt over high heat. Boil until the sugar dissolves. Let cool to room tem¬perature. In a large bowl, pour the pickling liquid over the watermelon and refrigerate.
- Heat a grill to medium high, about 400°F to 475° F.
- In a small bowl, combine the cumin, 1 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. pepper. Rub the chicken with the oil and sprinkle with the spice mix.
- Grill the chicken until the internal temperature reaches 165°F, about 4 minutes per side. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes, tented with foil.
- Meanwhile, drain the watermelon from the pickling liquid, combine with the onion and cilantro, and season to taste with salt.
- Slice the chicken and serve with the watermel¬on, garnished with the cilantro sprigs.