A popular ice cream from Turkey and the Caucasus. Instead of hazelnuts you can use walnuts or almonds. Decorate with left-over nuts before serving.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 4 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- ½ lb (225 g) sugar
- 1 lb (450 g) shelled hazelnuts
- 1 pint (600 ml) milk
- 2 tablespoons orange blossom water
How to Make It
- Place the egg yolks in a small saucepan, stir in half the sugar and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly until the sugar dissolves. Place in a refrigerator to cool.
- Grind three-quarters of the nuts. Bring the milk to the boil in a saucepan. Add the remaining sugar, the ground nuts and the egg mixture. Reduce the heat to very low and cook until the mixture thickens a little, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the orange blossom water and set aside to cool. Pour into a freezer tray and freeze for 2-3 hours.
- Remove from the freezer, scoop into a bowl and beat lightly. Return to the tray, smooth over the surface and re-freeze. Transfer to a refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving. Turn on to a plate, decorate with the remaining whole nuts and serve.