Get a glorious start to the day with these pancakes flavored with orange and coconut. The generous amount of baking powder used in the batter ensures they are light and fluffy. Serve them with softened butter and a jug of maple syrup.
- Yield: 18 Pancakes
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup (185 ml) 2% milk
- ¾ cup (185 ml) orange juice
- 2 tsp (10 ml) finely grated orange zest
- 1¾ cups (435 ml) all-purpose flour
- 0.33 cup (80 ml) granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) baking powder
- ½ cup (125 ml) medium, unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
How to Make It
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, orange juice and orange zest in a bowl. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, coconut and salt in a second bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until just combined. Let rest 5 minutes (it will become bubbly), and give it a few stirs before cooking. Preheat the oven to 200°F (95°C).
- Preheat a nonstick griddle to medium or medium-high heat. Lightly coat with oil or cooking spray. With a small ladle, pour 4-inch (10 cm) rounds of batter on the griddle, leaving a 2-inch (5 cm) space between each pancake. Flip the pancakes when the top becomes speckled with bubbles. Continue cooking until the underside is browned and the center of the pancake springs back when touched. Keep warm in the oven until all are done.