This is a brilliant idea and ridiculously simple to do. These are really store cupboard pizzas, designed to be made with whatever you have in your fridge and cupboards, and it’s fun for everyone to put together their own.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 wholewheat pitta breads, each split into 2 thin bases
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 4 tbsp canned tomatoes, very finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- large handful of basil, finely chopped
Cheese and Toppings
- 1 x 150 g mozzarella, finely sliced
- thinly sliced mushrooms
- thinly sliced red onions
- roast peppers or aubergines
- a few olives and capers
- canned anchovies, drained
- canned tuna, drained
- a few slices of Parma ham
- sliced artichokes in oil
- drizzle of olive oil, to finish
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to its highest setting.
- Mix together all the sauce ingredients. Put the pitta bases on a baking tray and divide the sauce between them you should have at least a generously heaped tablespoon per pitta base. Then cover the sauce with cheese there should be plenty if sliced thinly enough.
- Top with whatever you like from the list. You’ll probably come up with lots of other ideas too. You can make 4 completely different pizzas if necessary and they will all cook in the same time. Drizzle your pizzas with olive oil – about 2 teaspoons per pitta.
- Put the pizzas in the oven and bake them for 5–10 minutes, watching them carefully to make sure they don’t burn. Serve immediately.