These light and fluffy hotcakes may be served with a variety of toppings. They are sure to be popular with kids and adults alike.
- Serves 4
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 1 serve: 1 unit bread, 1½ units dairy
- 250 g reduced-fat ricotta
- ¾ cup (185 g) reduced-fat milk
- 2 egg yolks
- ½ cup (80 g) whole meal plain flour
- ½ cup (75 g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar or powdered sweetener
- 2 egg whites
- Olive oil spray
- Combine the ricotta, milk and egg yolks in a large bowl and mix until smooth. Sift the flours, baking powder and sugar or sweetener (tipping the bran back in) into the ricotta mixture and stir until smooth.
- Whisk the egg whites to form soft peaks, gently fold half the egg white into the ricotta mixture, then fold in the remaining egg white.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and spray with olive oil. For each hotcake, spoon about 3 tablespoons of the mixture into the pan and spread to form a 10 cm round. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface, then turn and cook the other side until golden. Remove and keep warm while you make the remaining hotcakes. Serve with your choice of toppings (see left).
- Drizzle with a teaspoon of maple syrup or honey.
- Top with mixed berries and reduced-fat yoghurt.
- Spoon over stewed fruit of your choice, such as apple, apricot, pear, or the rhubarb and strawberry.