Each of these pies constitutes a complete meal, so there’s no need to worry about additional side dishes. You could replace the mixed seafood with smoked fish. You could also use sweet potato for the mashed-potato topping—make sure to eat no more than half a cup (55 g) per serving. You can have up to a quarter of this recipe safely.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 tablespoons (56 g) butter, divided
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (omit for reflux)
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 tablespoons (20 g) white rice flour
- 1 cup (235 ml) lactose-free milk
- 17.6 ounces (500 g) mixed seafood
- Salt and pepper
- Grated mature cheese, such as Cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Boil the potatoes in salted water until tender and then mash them with 2 tablespoons (28 g) of the butter.
- Heat a little oil in a skillet. Cook the pepper (if using) and zucchini until tender.
- Melt the remaining butter in a large saucepan. Add the flour and stir to combine. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until well combined. Add the milk a little at a time, stirring well in between additions, to create a thick white sauce. Add the cooked pepper and zucchini. Add the seafood. Season to taste.
- Divide the mixture between 4 small casserole dishes or spoon into one larger one. Pile the mashed potatoes on top and scatter the cheese over the potato. Place the pies in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes to brown the tops and melt the cheese. Serve immediately. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 1 day.