Also known as chicory, endive has a mild bitter taste and a crisp, crunchy texture. Drizzling lemon juice over the leaves not only adds extra flavor, but also prevents discoloration while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- 4 tsp horseradish cream
- ½ red onion, finely diced
- 2 heads curly endive, leaves separated and rinsed
- 3 large cold-smoked trout fillets, about 8oz (225g) each, flaked
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 Lemon juice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the dressing
- 3 apples
- 2 cooked bees (not in vinegar), chopped
- handful of fresh dill, finely chopped
How to Make It
- In a small bowl, mix together the horseradish and half of the onion. Set aside.
- Arrange the endive and flaked trout on a serving plate, and drizzle with the oil and lemon juice. Season with salt and some black pepper.
- To make the relish, peel, core, and chop the apples into bite-sized pieces. Place in a separate bowl with the beets and dill, and mix together.
- To serve, spoon the relish over the leaves and fish. Sprinkle over the remaining red onion, and serve with the horseradish-onion mixture on the side.