- Yield: 4 Servings
PORCINI TARTE FINE
- 8 oz all-butter puff pastry
- 1 lb fresh porcini mushrooms
- 1½ Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 Tbsp Madeira
- 3 Tbsp whipping cream
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 oz dried porcini mushrooms
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp chardonnay vinegar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp hazelnut oil
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and finely diced
- 2 oz walnuts, chopped (about V. cup)
- 1 oz flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped (about 3 Tbsp)
- ½ preserved lemon, finely diced
- 1 shallot, finely diced
How to Make It
- This recipe calls for preserved lemon and chardonnay vinegar, both available at specialty food stores. Preserved lemon is a whole lemon that has been packed in rock salt for four to six months then thoroughly washed. Just the skin is used, imparting a delicate lemon flavour to the dish. If you cannot find chardonnay vinegar, a relatively sweet white wine or cider vinegar would make a good substitute. Porcini Tarte Fine
- Roll out puff pastry to 1/8 inch, dock with a fork and chill in the refrigerator for r hour.
- Trim and set aside the stems from the fresh mushrooms. Cut the rest of the fresh mushrooms into lh!-inch slices. Heat olive oil and 2 Tbsp of the butter in a medium saute pan on high heat. Add sliced mushrooms and brown for about 2 minutes on each side. Remove the mushrooms from the pan and lay them out on paper towels to drain.
- Finely chop mushroom trimmings. Add onion and garlic to the hot pan and sweat for 2 to 3 minutes until onion is translucent. Add mushroom trimmings and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Deglaze the pan with Madeira, then add cream and reduce for ro to r2 minutes, or until the sauce has the consistency of porridge. Add walnuts and season this mushroom duxelle with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spread mushroom duxelle evenly over the puff pastry, arrange sliced mushrooms on top and brush the top with the remaining 1 Tbsp of butter, melted first in the microwave.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat. Carefully invert the pastry onto the silicone and bake, mushroom-side down, for 18 minutes.
- In a food processor or spice grinder, grind dried mushrooms to get a fine powder. Dressing
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, hazelnut oil and honey to make a vinaigrette. Combine apple, walnuts, parsley, preserved lemon and shallot in a larger bowl, then add vinaigrette and toss to combine.