- Yield: 4 Servings
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 3 Minutes
- 12 large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, with heads and tails removed
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 red chile, seeded and very finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp Vietnamese fish sauce (nuac nam) or Thai fish sauce (nam pla)
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp chopped Vietnamese mint (rau ram) or other fresh mint leaves, plus a few sprigs to serve
- 1 green papaya, peeled, seeded, quartered lengthwise, and thinly sliced
- ½ cucumber, seeded and cut into thin strips
How to Make It
- Spread the shrimp out on a foil-lined grill rack, brush with the oil, and grill over medium heat for 2–3 minutes, or until they turn pink.
- Meanwhile, whisk the rice wine vinegar, sugar, chile, garlic, fish sauce, lime juice, and 2½ fl oz (75ml) cold water together in a bowl until the sugar dissolves. Add the cooked shrimp to the bowl and stir until they are coated in the dressing. Let cool completely.
- Add the chopped rau ram or mint, papaya, and cucumber, and toss together. Transfer the salad to a serving plate, with the shrimp on the top, and garnish with mint sprigs.