Frozen peas are a gift to the breakaway cook: their creamy, earthy goodness bursts with flavor, and they couldn’t be easier to store and prepare. The pesto-like tarragon emulsion, made even creamier by the addition of Greek yogurt, really brings out the best in them, and the sprinkling of pistachios on top lends a lovely toasted, nutty texture. Try them with a broiled fish fillet and a glass of grassy Sauvignon Blanc.
- Yield: 4 Servings(generously)
- 1 pound frozen baby peas
- ½ cup loosely packed fresh tarragon leaves
- 2 scallions, white and green parts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ½ cup chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Put the peas in a clay pot or a small Dutch oven and gently heat them on the stove until they thaw, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, put the tarragon, scallions, olive oil, yogurt, and ¼ cup of the pistachios into a blender and puree.
- Gently mix into the peas, sprinkle the top with extra chopped pistachios, and bake for about 15 minutes about the time the top will begin to brown. Remove and serve in your best serving bowl.