This made-from-scratch casserole is so easy to throw together that you can prep it quickly and then head back to bed while it cooks. When you wake up, the house will be filled with the heavenly aroma of blueberries and almonds.
- Yield: 6 Servings
- Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 2 Hours
- 1 cup old-fashioned (not quick-cooking) oats
- 1 cup cream of wheat
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups fresh or thawed frozen blueberries
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- Yogurt, for topping (optional)
How to Make It
- Spray the insert of a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, cream of wheat, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt and stir.
- In another medium bowl, beat the egg. Add the milk, orange juice, and vegetable oil and mix to combine. Stir the egg mixture into the oat mixture until all the dry ingredients are completely moistened. Fold in the blueberries, orange zest, and almonds. Pour the batter into the slow cooker, cover, and cook on High for 2 hours—the center may still be slightly soft.
- Serve immediately while warm or spoon into individual containers for an easy breakfast on the go. Rewarm in the microwave for 30 seconds on high and top with plain yogurt, if desired.