- Yield: 2 Dozen
- ½ cup (100 g) Spectrum Organic Shortening
- 1 1⁄3 cups (300 g) packed brown sugar
- 2 cups (250 g) Bob’s Red Mill white rice flour
- ½ cup (60 g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour
- 2 teaspoons (4.6 g) ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon (4.6 g) baking soda
- ½ teaspoon (3 g) salt
- ½ 2 cup (120 ml) apple juice
- ½ cup (75 g) grated apple (1 small apple)
For Caramel Icing
- 1½ cups (180 g) powdered sugar
- ½ cup (115 g) packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) rice milk, safe milk alternative, or water
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4)
- To make the cookies: Cream together shortening and brown sugar. Add rice flour and next 5 ingredients (through apple juice) and mix until smooth. Stir in the grated apple.
- With a small ice cream/cookie scoop, drop dough onto a greased baking sheet (about 6 cookies per sheet).
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until lightly golden. Let sit for 2 minutes before removing with a spatula to a fl at surface. Let cool completely.
- To make the icing: Blend together all icing ingredients. Frost cooled cookies.