Carrot Cake is the one instance where I’ll choose frosting over cake, which is why I wanted to include a simple cream cheese frosting in this minute muffin. The result is a single-serve carrot cake that feels like an indulgent treat but is actually quite healthy.
- Yield: 1 muffin
- 3 tbsp (20 g) oat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 0.12 tsp ground nutmeg
- A pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp (15–30 ml) unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) maple syrup
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (30 g) grated carrot
- 1 tbsp (7 g) crushed walnuts
- 2 tbsp (15–30 g) cream cheese (* for vegan option, use non-dairy cream cheese)
- ½ tsp maple syrup
- Combine the oat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a small microwavesafe mug or bowl.
- Add the applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla, mixing until all the ingredients are well combined. Fold in the grated carrot and crushed walnuts, saving a few pieces to sprinkle on top.
- Microwave your muffin on high for 2 minutes, then allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine the filling ingredients in a small bowl. When the muffin is cool, slice it in half horizontally and spread the filling in the middle.