- Yield: 3 Dozen
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (50 g) Spectrum Organic Shortening
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) vanilla extract
- ½ cup (125 g) unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup (65 g) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup (60 ml) water
- 0.33 cup (42 g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca fl our
- 1 cup (125 g) Bob’s Red Mill white or brown rice fl our
- ½ teaspoon (2.3 g) baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon (1.5 g) salt
- 1 cup (120 g) powdered sugar
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4).
- With a mixer, add sugar, shortening, vanilla, applesauce, cocoa, and water. Mix until combined. Add in the tapioca fl our and the next 3 ingredients (through salt) and mix until dough looks smooth but not firm, like cake batter.
- With an ice cream/cookie scoop, drop rounded balls of dough onto a greased cookie sheet. Use a spoon and sprinkle powdered sugar over cookie, coating heavily. Repeat with remaining cookies. You can put about 12 cookies on the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until cookies look slightly cracked. Let cool on the baking sheet for about 2 minutes before removing cookies to a cooling rack or fl at surface to cool completely.