- Yield: 1 bowl
- Sunflower or groundnut oil for deep-frying
- A handful of Gutweed, rinsed and patted dry
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp golden caster sugar
How to Make It
- Heat about an 8 cm depth of oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed saucepan until it registers 180°C on a frying thermometer, or until a cube of stale white bread dropped into the oil turns golden within a minute.
- Deep-fry the Gutweed in batches: carefully lower into the pan using tongs and fry for 4–6 seconds only, then remove with a slotted spoon and place on kitchen paper to drain while you deep-fry the rest.
- Warm a dry, small frying pan over a medium-high heat and add the sesame seeds. Toast gently, shaking the pan occasionally, for about 40 seconds until golden and fragrant. Tip the Gutweed into a warm bowl, add the toasted sesame seeds and sugar and toss gently to mix. Eat straight away.