- Yield: 3 Dozen
For Cookie Base
- ½ cup (100 g) Spectrum Organic Shortening
- 1 cup (225 g) packed brown sugar
- 1 cup (125 g) Bob’s Red Mill white or brown rice flour or sorghum flour
- ½ teaspoon (3 g) salt
- ¾ cup (94 g) Bob’s Red Mill tapioca flour
- 1½ cups (120 g) certified gluten-free rolled oats
- 3 cups (500 g) sulfite-free dates, cut into small pieces
- ¼ cup (50 g) superfine sugar
- 1½ cups (355 ml) water
How to Make It
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4).
- To make the cookie base: In a food processor, combine the cookie base ingredients and pulse until it resembles crumbs. Press half the mixture into a greased 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33-cm) baking pan. Set the other half of the mixture aside.
- To make the filling: Place the dates, sugar, and water in a saucepan. Cook over low heat until thickened (about 10 minutes), stirring constantly. Cool.
- Spread date mixture on cookie base crust in pan. Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture evenly over the date filling.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until lightly browned. Let cool slightly. While still warm, cut into bars and remove from pan.