The beloved Southern recipe for Hummingbird Cake gets a makeover. This departs from the classic in size going from an imposing, multilayer cake to cupcakes but also swaps in fresh pineapple for canned and shredded sweet potato for mashed banana. Why it has been called Hummingbird Cake remains a mystery, but it could have something to do with the fact that hummingbirds (and many humans) are drawn to intense sweetnesss.
- Yield: 18 cupcakes
- Preparation Time: 45 Minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (3 medium)
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup shredded, peeled uncooked sweet potato (1 medium)
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 recipe Marshmallow-Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½cup raw chip coconut or flaked coconut, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour eighteen 2½-inch muffin cups or line with paper bake cups. Set pans aside.
- In a very large bowl combine flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Stir in bananas, eggs, oil, and vanilla just until combined. Fold in sweet potato and ½ cup of the pineapple. Divide batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Cool in pans on wire racks for 5 minutes. Remove cupcakes from pans. Cool completely on racks.
- Spread Marshmallow-Cream Cheese Frosting on cupcakes. Sprinkle with toasted coconut. Top with the remaining pineapple just before serving.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.