Store-bought snack cakes can’t compare to these homemade versions: Dark chocolate cupcakes are filled with fluffy marshmallow cream, which is also used to pipe decorations on the tops. Take care not to overfill the hollowed-out cupcakes, or the cream may seep out.
- Yield: 12 jumbo
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for tins
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus more for tins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream, room temperature
- Marshmallow Cream Filling
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Brush jumbo muffin tins with butter; dust with cocoa powder, tapping out excess. Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture in two batches, alternating with the sour cream, and mixing until just incorporated after each.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared cups, filling each with about ½ cup. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Transfer tins to wire racks to cool 5 minutes. Run a small offset spatula or knife around the edges to loosen; turn out cupcakes onto racks and let cool completely.
- Transfer filling to a large heavy-duty resealable plastic bag, and twist bag to remove excess air before sealing. Snip off one corner of the bag to make a ¼-inch opening. (Alternatively, use a pastry bag fitted with a medium round tip, such as 8)
- Using a small melon baller, scoop out center of each cupcake from the bottom, and reserve (to reseal cupcake after filling). Hollow out each cupcake a bit more, discarding crumbs. Insert snipped corner of bag (or pastry tip) into each cavity, and squeeze just to fill; replace reserved cake pieces. Decorate tops with remaining filling. Filled cupcakes can be stored up to 2 days at room temperature in airtight containers.