This is a simple follow-up to the Vanilla Bean Pastry Cream. The addition of orange flower water makes this filling appropriate for a sophisticated crowd and wonderful for filling cakes and other pastries such as the layered crêpe cake.
- Yield: 6 CUPS (1.4 L)
- 1 recipe Vanilla Bean Pastry Cream
- 1 tbsp (12 g) plus 1 tsp powdered gelatin or 4 silver gelatin leaves
- 2¾ cups (670 g) plus 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 1 tbsp (25 g) plus 2 tsp orange flower water
- 1 Orange grated zest
How to Make It
- Place the pastry cream in a medium bowl on the counter to come to room temperature. It is at the perfect temperature for this recipe just after the butter has been added and emulsified. If it’s too cold, the gelatin will not distribute evenly, creating lumps in the mixture.
- If using powdered gelatin, sprinkle it over a small saucepan containing 1/4 cup (60 ml) water and allow it to sit for 5 minutes to hydrate the gelatin. Place over medium heat and whisk to fully dissolve the gelatin into the water. If using gelatin leaves, bloom them by placing them in a clean bowl of cold water for 5 minutes, then drain and squeeze out all excess water. Meanwhile, in a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip the heavy cream to mediumfirm peaks. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Pour the orange flower water into a separate medium glass or plastic bowl. Add the gelatinwater or bloomed gelatin to the orange flower water. Microwave this mixture for 20 to 30 seconds, until the gelatin is completely melted and is warm. Remove from the microwave and stir to combine. If not using a microwave, heat the gelatin–orange flower water mixture in a small saucepan over low heat for 1 minute, or until the gelatin is completely melted and the mixture is warm.
- Use a rubber spatula to scrape the orange flower gelatin and the orange zest into the pastry cream and whisk to distribute the gelatin. Finally, using a rubber spatula, gently fold the cold whipped cream into the pastry cream mixture; this will create a soft, mousselike texture. The diplomat cream is now ready to use.