- Yield: 4 Servings
- 16 cups court bouillon small Dungeness crab, about 2 lbs
- 4 oz pasta dough
- 2 oz chicken mousse
- 7 oz watercress, leaves picked off and stems discarded
- 0.33 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
Pan Fried Halbut
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 fillets halibut, about 4 oz each
- ½ lemon
- 2 tsp unsalted butter
- 3 oz yellowfoot chanterelle mushrooms
- 1 cup vegetable oil for deep frying
- 4 sprigs watercress, leaves picked off and stems discarded
How to Make It
- CRAB LASAGNA: In a large pot, bring court bouillon to a boil. Add crab and cook for 12 minutes. Remove from heat and allow the crab to cool in the bouillon. Pick the crab meat from the shell: first, twist off the legs and claws and set them aside. To remove the back, hold the base of the crab with one hand and pull the shell away from the body with the other hand. Discard the soft gills and the intestine. Spoon out the soft brown meat and reserve. Gently rinse the crab shell and crack it into four pieces. Pick out all of the crab's white meat-from the legs, claws and rest of the body. Break crab shells into 1l-2- to 2-inch pieces.
- Roll out pasta dough to the thickness of a dime. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta, blanch for 3 minutes, then refresh in an ice bath. Cut out twelve 1l-2-inch-diameter rounds.
- In a small bowl, mix white crab meat with brown meat and chicken mousse. Season with salt and pepper.
- Grease four 1l-2-inch ring moulds. In each one, lay down a pasta round, top with one-eighth of the crab, another pasta round, another eighth of the crab and a third pasta round.
- WATERCRESS SAUCE: Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add watercress and blanch for 15 seconds. Plunge the watercress into an ice bath to refresh, then squeeze out the excess water and chop. Bring chicken stock to a boil in a small saucepan.
- In a small saute pan, heat oil on medium heat. Add shallot and sweat 2 to 3 minutes but do not brown. Add watercress and just cover with boiling chicken stock. Cook until the watercress and shallot are tender, 2 to 3 minutes, then puree in a blender, pass through a sieve, and season with salt and pepper.
- PAN-FRIED HALIBUT: In a large, non-stick pan on high heat, add olive oil, then add halibut and fry for 3 to 4 minutes on each side. Season with salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Melt some butter in a small saute pan on low heat, add mushrooms and gently cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- DEEP-FRIED WATERCRESS: Heat oil in a deep fryer or a small saucepan to 400°F. Immerse watercress leaves and fry for 3 to 4 seconds. Remove the watercress from the oil and allow to drain on paper towels.