Avgolemono soup is Greek comfort food. Most recipes call for rice.
- Yield: 2 Servings
- 2 quarts (2 L) fish broth or chicken broth
- ⅔ cup (150 g) orzo
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 Greek krokos Kozanis or red saffron threads
- 2 whole large eggs or egg yolks
- 1 lemon juice, or more to taste, strained
How to Make It
- In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a boil. Add the orzo and season with salt and pepper. Add the saffron threads. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until the orzo is tender.
- While the orzo is cooking, whisk the eggs or egg yolks in a medium metal bowl until very frothy. Whisk in the lemon juice. Scoop off a ladleful of the broth from the top of the pot, so as not to get any orzo, and, while whisking vigorously, very slowly pour the broth into the egg-lemon mixture. Repeat with a second ladleful, then pour the egg-lemon mixture into the pot with the orzo, tilting the pot to it distribute evenly. Serve immediately.