This cake is usually made with a vanilla cream prepared with half buttercream and half crème pâtissière. My pistachio Fraisier is a delicious modern take on a classic French cake.
- Yield: 12 Servings
- Preparation Time: 60 Minutes
- 450 g of génoise mix
For the Kirsch Syrup and Garnish
- 25 g caster sugar
- 50 ml water
- 2 tablespoons kirsch or strawberry liqueur
- 250 g marzipan
- 30 g icing sugar, to dust
- 2 punnets of large strawberries (500 g each)
- 25 g white chocolate, melted
For the Pistachio Cream
- 4 small gelatine leaves (6 g)
- 30 g caster sugar
- 15 ml water
- 500 ml fresh double cream
- 100 g pistachio paste, to taste
How to Make It
- Make the génoise mix , without baking. Spread the mixture out in a 1 cm layer on a baking tray lined with a silicone mat or baking paper using a spatula. The sponge must be large enough to cut 2 rings of 20 cm. Bake it for 7 minutes, turn the tray and bake for another 3–5 minutes until golden brown. Cool on the tray.
- For the kirsch syrup, put the water and sugar in a small pan and bring them to the boil. Cool the syrup for 15 minutes then add the kirsch or strawberry liqueur.
- Turn the sponge over onto the work surface and gently peel off the silicone mat or baking paper. Place the ring over it and cut the 2 circles using a sharp knife on the outside of the ring.
- Roll out the marzipan with icing sugar and cut a circle around the outside of the ring. Place the marzipan on a baking tray and caramelize it using a blowtorch.
- Put the ring on a serving tray and place a circle of génoise in the base. Soak it in a little bit of kirsch syrup using a pastry brush.
- Put the strawberries in a colander and wash them quickly under cold water. Drain and put them on a clean cloth to dry. Cut the bottoms off. Garnish the cake with half strawberries around the inside of the ring and some whole strawberries inside the cake. Make the Pistachio Cream
- Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for 10 minutes. Bring the caster sugar and water to the boil and, off the heat, add the pressed gelatine leaves. Whisk the cream with the pistachio paste and add the gelatine syrup when it starts to rise. The pistachio cream must double in size but still be runny enough to be poured over the strawberries.
- Put the second circle of génoise on the top, soak it with the syrup and place the caramelized marzipan on top. Set in the fridge for 8 hours.
- Before serving, blowtorch all the way around the ring to melt the edges and then remove the ring by lifting it up with a kitchen cloth. Decorate the cake with strawberries using some melted white chocolate to stick them onto the cake.