- Yield: 12 Cupcakes
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
- Total Time: 40 Minutes
- ½ cup (1 stick or 115 g) butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup (or 200 g) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups (190 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup (120 ml) milk
- 2 medium lemons juice and zest
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz (224 g) full-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup (½ stick or 60 g) butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 medium lemon juice plus extra zest to decorate (optional)
- 2 cups (240 g) confectioners’ sugar
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-count muffin pan with cupcake liners. Set aside. Make the cupcakes
- In a large bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter and granulated sugar together on medium speed until creamed, about 2–3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat on medium speed until everything is combined and pale in color, about 2 full minutes. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in 3 additions, stirring with a large rubber spatula or spoon after each addition the batter will be thick. Add the milk, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Mix until just combined, do not overmix.
- Pour the batter evenly into 12 cupcake liners. Bake for about 18-20 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking. A toothpick inserted in the middle will come out clean when done. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before frosting. Make the frosting
- In a medium bowl using a handheld or stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cream cheese and butter together on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice and lemon zest. Continue to beat for 1 minute. Switch the mixer to low speed and slowly add the confectioners’ sugar. Switch to medium speed and beat for 2 minutes until combined and creamy. Frost the cupcakes with a knife and top with additional lemon zest if desired. Serve the cupcakes chilled. The cupcakes will remain fresh stored in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.