As an alternative to a platter of Christmas cookies, welcome family and friends with a batch of dainty cupcakes adorned with simple wreath shapes piped from green buttercream. They’re just the thing for a caroling or tree-trimming party, or a holiday open house. Tiny red candy dots mimic holly berries to provide the finishing touch.
- Yield: 24
- 24 cupcakes, such as White Cupcakes or Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Green gel-paste food color
- Red pearlized round ball sprinkles
- Tint 1 cup buttercream green with gel-paste food color. Transfer to a pastry bag fitted with a small leaf tip.
- Using an offset spatula, spread each cupcake with a smooth layer of untinted buttercream. Starting at the outside edge of the cupcake, pipe slightly overlapping leaves in a circle, then pipe another layer of leaves overlapping the first; repeat to make one or two more layers. Refrigerate 30 minutes to allow frosting to set. Cupcakes can be refrigerated up to 2 days in airtight containers; bring to room temperature and arrange red sprinkles in several clusters around each wreath before serving.