These crunchy cookies are great for dunking in coffee or tea.
- Yield: 24 cookies
- Preparation Time: 40 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 40 Minutes
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) butte
- ¾ cup (185 ml) sugar
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp (2 ml) almond extract
- ½ tsp (2 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated orange zest
- 2¼ cups (560 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) whole almonds, lightly toasted and coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup (60 ml) dried cranberries
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- sugar for sprinkling on top
How to Make It
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C). Beat the butter and sugar until light. Beat in the eggs, extracts and orange zest. Sift the flour with the baking powder and salt. Beat the dry mixture into the butter mixture. Mix in the almonds and cranberries. Divide the dough in half and place on a lightly floured work surface. Shape and knead each half into a smooth, oval-shaped log about 12 inches (30 cm) long and 2½ inches (6 cm) wide. Place the logs on a large, nonstick or parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Brush the tops with beaten egg white and sprinkle with a little sugar. Bake for 20 minutes, or until a light golden brown.
- Carefully lift from the baking sheet and cool on a rack for 5 minutes. Carefully lift from the rack and place on a cutting board. With a serrated knife, slice the logs on a slight diagonal into ½-inch (1 cm) slices. Lay the slices flat on the baking sheet. Return to the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Turn and bake for 10 minutes more. Cool the cookies completely on a baking rack. Store in a tightly covered container for up to 3 weeks.