- Yield: 30 bars
- Preparation Time: 20 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 17 Minutes
For the Cookies
- Nonstick cooking spray
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 tablespoons (½ stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1½ to 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
How to Make It
Make the Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a jelly-roll pan (about 15 × 10 × 1 inch) with nonstick cooking spray. (Alternatively, you can use a 9 × 13-inch pan, which will result in slightly thicker bars.)
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat together the butter and granulated sugar until fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla, and sour cream and mix until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Slowly add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and mix until combined.
- Lightly flour your hands and press the dough evenly into the pan with your palms.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Do not let the top brown. Set on a wire rack and let cool completely. Make the Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a medium bowl, using a hand mixer, beat together the butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Slowly add the powdered sugar, using more or less to suit your taste, the vanilla, and the salt. Mix until smooth and creamy. Frost the cooled sugar cookie bars.
- These cookie bars also taste great with a buttercream frosting.