Bonito flakes and cheese? I know this doesn’t sound right but the combination works well! You can serve this bite-size onigiri as a snack to go with drinks. If you like melted cheese, serve this onigiri as soon as you make it. For wasabi lovers, add a little wasabi to the mixture.
- Yield: 8
- 0.1 oz (3 g) Bonito flakes
- 2 tbsp Japanese soy sauce (shoyu)
- 4 1⁄3 oz (120 g) Mozzarella grated
- 2 tbsp Toasted white sesame seeds ground
- Wasabi (optional) to taste
- 17 oz (480 g) Cooked Japanese short grain rice
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Place cling wrap in a rice bowl and scoop 60 g (2 oz) rice mixture into the bowl. Pull out rice together with cling wrap and mould rice into your preferred shape. Repeat with the remaining ingredients.