Pancetta is Italian-style bacon cured with salt and spices, but not smoked. One of its uses in Italian cooking is to flavor sauces, such as this colorful, fresh tomato and herb–flecked one. You can buy pancetta at Italian food stores and some supermarkets.
- Yield: 2 Servings
- Preparation Time: 15 Minutes
- Cooking Time: 10 Minutes
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) olive oil
- ¼ lb (125 g) pancetta, finely chopped
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ½ cup (125 ml) dry white wine
- 3 ripe, medium tomatoes, halved, seedsremoved and chopped
- 3 Tbsp (30–45 ml) chopped fresh basilor oregano
- pinch sugar
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 lbs (1 kg) fresh clams, rinsed in cold water
- Heat the oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the pancetta and cook until crispy. Drain off all but 2 Tbsp (30 ml) of the oil and rendered fat from the pan. Add the onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the wine, tomatoes, basil or oregano, sugar and pepper. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the clams, cover the pot and cook until the clams just open. Divide the clams and sauce among bowls and serve.