I’ve always loved Rice Krispies Treats® , and I came to love them even more when I learned that you could make them healthier by replacing the marshmallows with brown rice syrup and the butter with almond butter. Toss some melted chocolate in the mix, and you’ve got a 4-ingredient chewy and crispy snack bar that’s guaranteed to please!
- Yield: 8 squares
- ¼ cup (45 g) chocolate chips (for vegan option, use vegan chocolate chips)
- 6 tbsp (96 g) almond butter
- ¼ cup (80 g) brown rice syrup
- 2 cups (60 g) crispy rice cereal
- Line a 9 x 5-inch (23 x 13-cm) loaf pan with a sheet of aluminum foil or parchment paper, leaving a few inches of overhang on the sides to allow for easy removal. Generously spray the foil with cooking spray and set aside.
- Melt the chocolate and almond butter in a small saucepan set over medium-low heat, stirring regularly to prevent burning. Remove the pan from the heat and add the brown rice syrup, stirring until the mixture is smooth. Finally, add the crispy rice cereal and stir to make sure it’s well coated.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf pan and use a spatula or your hands to spread it out evenly, making sure to press down firmly. Cover the pan with a sheet of foil and place it into the freezer to set for at least 15 minutes.
- When the bars have set, remove them from the pan using the foil overhang and use a sharp knife to cut them into individual squares. Store them in a sealed container in the fridge or freezer for best results.