I love the purple colour of this cabbage salad, flavoured with caraway seeds. Think of it as a slaw, which you can take along on a picnic or serve with hot food, such as grilled meat. If you leave this salad to marinate overnight in the fridge it will wilt down a little and turn even more purple.
- Yield: 8 Servings
- ½ head white cabbage, around 500 g/1 lb 2 oz, very finely shredded
- ½ head red cabbage, around 500 g/1 b 2 oz, very finely shredded
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red apple
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp caster (superfine) sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- Put the white and red cabbage in a colander or sieve set over a bowl, sprinkle the salt over the cabbage and leave it to drain. After 30 minutes or so, squeeze any excess water out of the cabbage.
- Tip the cabbage into a serving bowl. Add the red onion.
- Peel and grate the apple and stir into the cabbage, along with the vinegar, sugar, oil and caraway seeds. Serve straight away or store in the fridge for up to 2 days.