- Yield: 24 pancakes
- 1½ pounds zucchini (3 large zucchini), shredded
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 pinch salt
- ¼ vidalia onion, thinly sliced and separated
- 1 large egg
- ¾ cup fine bread crumbs
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- pinch pepper
How to Make It
- Place the zucchini in a colander. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and toss to coat evenly. Let this sit in your sink for half an hour to 1 hour if it is humid.
- Preheat oven to 200°F so you can keep cooked pancakes warm before serving.
- Squeeze as much of the water out of the zucchini as you can. Place them in a bowl. Sprinkle the onion over the zucchini and mix in the egg and bread crumbs.
- Place a skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. If it starts to smoke, lower the temperature. Use your hands to scoop up a heaping tablespoon of the mixture and flatten it into a pancake. Place it in the skillet and fry 2–3 at a time. Cook on each side for about 3 minutes until they’re light brown.
- Remove them from the skillet and place on a rack over a cookie sheet in the middle of the oven. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat with the remaining mixture until they’re all cooked. Serve while warm.