Vanilla ice cream and lemon sorbet are swirled together with fresh blackberries and lemon peel for the filling in these itty-bitty ice cream sandwiches. They are so much fun and can be made up to a month ahead of serving and stored in the freezer.
- Yield: 18 mini ice cream sandwiches
- Preparation Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 cup vanilla ice cream, softened
- ½ cup lemon sorbet, softened
- ¾ cup fresh blackberries
- ½ teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup ground pistachio nuts
- 1 cup butter
- Coarsely chopped pistachio nuts (optional)
How to Make It
- Line a 9×5×3-inch loaf pan with foil, leaving about 1 inch foil extending over edges of pan. In a chilled medium bowl combine softened ice cream, softened sorbet, blackberries, and lemon peel. Quickly swirl ingredients together, breaking up berries slightly. Spread in the prepared loaf pan; smooth top to make an even layer. Cover and freeze for 4 to 6 hours or until firm.
- For shortbread, preheat oven to 325°F. In a large bowl combine flour, brown sugar, and the ½ cup ground pistachio nuts. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling together. Shape into a ball and knead until smooth. On an ungreased cookie sheet pat or roll dough into a 9-inch square. Using a fluted pastry wheel or knife, cut dough into 36 squares (1½ inches each), but do not separate. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or just until bottom starts to turn brown. Cool for 5 minutes. While shortbread is still warm, use the pastry wheel or knife to recut each square and trim edges. Transfer squares to a wire rack; let cool.
- To assemble ice cream sandwiches, remove ice cream mixture from the freezer. Let stand at room temperature for 5 minutes. Using the foil, lift ice cream mixture from pan. Using a long knife and working quickly, cut into eighteen 1½-inch squares. Using a small metal spatula, place an ice cream square on the bottom sides of half the cookies. Top each with another cookie, top sides up. If desired, roll ice cream sides in chopped pistachio nuts, pressing lightly so nuts adhere. Wrap each ice cream sandwich in plastic wrap and return to freezer. Freeze at least 2 hours or until firm.
Serving Size 1
Nutritional Value Per Serving
Calories from Fat:
% Daily Value*
* Above mentioned %DVs (Percent Daily Values) are based on 2,000 calorie food intake.
DVs (Daily values) may be vary depending upon individuals daily calorie needs. Above nutritional values are estimates and should only be used as a guide for approximation. They are not allfoodchef.com recommendations. Calculations are based on average weight of 194 lbs. and ages of 19 to 50 years.