- Yield: 10 doughnuts
- Dough for Sugared Doughnuts, refrigerated overnight
- Canola oil for deep-frying
- Chocolate Glaze
- ¾ cup (112 g) Crunchy dark chocolate pearls
- 1¾ cups (375 g) Diplomat Cream
How to Make It
- To Shape and Proof the Doughnuts: Line a sheet pan with parchment paper and lightly spray the parchment with nonstick spray. Using the 3 - inch cutter, cut 10 rounds from the dough. Brush off any excess flour and place on the prepared pan. Proof the dough as directed.
- To Fry the Doughnuts: Pour 3 inches of canola oil into a Dutch oven or heavy stockpot; ideally, the oil should come no more than one-third of the way up the sides of the pot, but it should be deep enough to allow the doughnuts to float freely. Heat the oil to 335°F/168°C. Set a cooling rack over a baking sheet.
- Gently lower 4 doughnuts into the oil and fry for 30 seconds, without moving the doughnuts, to allow the dough to set; adjust the heat as needed to maintain a temperature of 335° to 345°F/168° to 174°C. Flip the doughnuts over and fry for 5 to 5½ minutes, flipping them every 30 to 45 seconds, until they are a rich golden brown. Transfer to the rack and cook the remaining doughnuts in 2 batches of 3 each. Let the doughnuts cool completely before glazing and filling.
- To fill and Glaze the Doughnuts:Pour the glaze into a bowl just large enough to hold one doughnut. Spread the pearls on a small plate.
- Spoon the diplomat cream into the pastry bag. Push the tip into the side of a doughnut and, applying gentle pressure, pipe in 30 to 35 grams/2 to 2½ tablespoons of cream; the doughnut will feel heavy. Continue with the remaining doughnuts.
- One at a time, dip the top of each doughnut into the glaze, then turn the doughnut over, letting the excess glaze run off, and dip the glazed side into the pearls. Set on a serving plate or platter.
- The doughnuts are best as soon as they are made, but they can be refrigerated for up to 1 hour.